Friday, June 21, 2013

Roasted Beet and Orange Salad with Caraway Seeds


We were able to make it to Day 3 of the Sambazon Cleanse!  I will admit, the first day was HARD.  I was craving bread and chocolate all day and even though there was plenty of food and juices to keep me full, I wanted what I love...CARBS!  By Day 2 it was starting to click and I began to notice the benefit of eating clean.  Today is the last day and I have to say, I am glad we did it!

One thing I have loved about this cleanse is the food.  Sambazon did a great job of creating extremely clean and healthy meals that have provided MUCH more flavor that I was expecting.  I have been making everything the day before so that the hubby can bring it all to work and we really have had a great menu of items.  This recipe for the Roasted Beet and Orange Salad with Caraway Seeds has been one of my favorite (it was lunch yesterday).  I love beet salad and the flavors, colors and light dressing just feels like summer.

What you need:
2 large beets, scrubbed
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 oranges, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
1 c. beet greens
1 c. baby spinach
4 tsp balsamic vinegar 
2 tsp caraway seeds
4 tbsp hemp hearts
salt (optional)

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Place the beets in a roasting pan and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil
3. Roast for 45 minutes
4. Cool to room temperature and then cut into bite size pieces
5. Place beets in a salad bowl and add the oranges, greens and spinach
6. In another bowl, combine the remaining oil with the vinegar, seeds and salt
7. Pour over the salad and toss.  Garnish with hemp hearts



Other items that we have eaten from the cleanse that were pretty good?  This Red Potato and Green Bean Salad that tastes way better than it looks.



And this Open-Faced Veggie Burger with Avocado and Organic Side Salad which we actually packed up to bring to an Angels game.  It was delicious and as you can see, piled with so many yummy things, but I still missed having a beer and hot dog!




Have a great weekend!
* recipe courtesy of Sambazon

1 comments

  1. Definitely borrowing this recipe when I'm done with my cleanse. Mine is juice only. I'm on day two now, and I'm surprised that I really don't feel hungry...just a little sluggish. Looking forward to easing some solid foods back into the rotation on Thursday! Found some good recipes on Sambazon's site as well so thanks! (ps..congrats on the mag contribution. So fun!)

    ReplyDelete

previous next