Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Strike a Pose

A few months ago, I became obsessed with hot yoga.  After years of having and carrying children, wearing heels, running, working on my feet, working at a desk and so many other stresses I have put on my body, hot yoga offered a feeling of reversing all the damage.  The added bonus is that it has also done wonders for my anxiety. I really should have started this a long time ago.   

Because this practice had made such a difference in how my body feels, I reached out to the Kelly Sandrock, the owner of Melt Ladera Hot Yoga (my little haven), to share some poses that can easily be done at home and focuses on areas that are traditionally tight for most women such as hips, lower back and hamstrings.  Kristi Wilson, one of the instructors at Melt, was generous enough to be our model in hopes of sharing with each of you a little piece of calm in your own home.

Supta Baddha Konasana
This pose is a strong groin and hip-opener and will help relieve sciatic pain, menstrual pains and digestion issues.
Click here for detailed instructions.


Happy Baby (Ananda Balasana)
This pose helps stretch the inner groin and back spine.  It calms the brain and relieves stress and fatigue.
Click here for detailed instructions.


Crescent Pose (Anjaneyasana)
This pose focuses on the thighs, groins, abdomen, chest lungs, shoulders, armpits and neck.
Click here for detailed instructions.

One-Legged King Pigeon Pose (Eka Pada Rajakapotasana)
This pose stretches the thighs, groin, abdomen, chest, shoulders and neck. 
Click here for detailed instructions.


For individuals with knee problems, it is recommended that you do this pose on your back like this...


Frog Pose (Ardha Bhekasana)
This pose focuses on opening up the hips and helps with menstrual pains, anxiety and depression.


Flying Frog Pose
This is an advanced pose of the one above.
This pose will add additional bicep strength and balancing.
I am no where close to this one...

What I have loved most about yoga is the ability to let everything go when I am in class.  It is amazing how quickly I stop thinking about the "to do" list and instantly fall into a zone that is both challenging and relaxing.  Hot Yoga has an incredible way of clearing your mind along with giving you an incredible workout.  If you have ever been scared of giving this a try, believe me, I was too.  But step outside your comfort zone and begin with these poses.  I think you will be surprised how un-assuming it is and how much you will enjoy it.  





If you are interested in attending a class at Melt Ladera Hot Yoga, they are located at 27742 Antonio Parkway, Suite K3-4, Ladera Ranch, Ca. and you can view their class list and prices here.  If you are not in the Orange County area, I challenge you to find a local hot yoga studio.  Give it a try!  Okay, I will stop raving about it now...   
   
And if you need some yoga gear, here are some items I love...

Thank you Kelly and Kristi!

* I have included links to all the above poses to allow you to read in detail how to get yourself into the pose to ensure you do not hurt yourself.  I am not a trained yoga instructor but was provided these instructions and benefits from individuals who are certified.


Post a Comment

previous next