Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Eggs Benedict

For years, I was extremely intimidated by the kitchen.
I would take a look at a recipe, see the list of ingredients, read through all the steps and become too overwhelmed to even try it.
I was convinced I would screw it up somehow.

Over the past few years, however, I began to crave the ability to cook.  And not just a quesadilla on the stove, but really cook.  My husband also began feeling the same way and slowly but surely, we took to the kitchen, sometimes working alone, sometimes working together, to create things that really, I never thought we would be able to make.

Whether the hubby was frying fish tacos for dinner, or I was making baked croissant French Toast for breakfast, we began to notice how much we both enjoyed being in the kitchen.  What I thought was going to feel stressful and overwhelming actually brought extreme calm and enjoyment.  For how crazy our life can get, cooking seems to always slow down life for a moment.  Now when we have people over, we will sit and talk menu, creating the perfect combination of flavors for our friends and family.  Whether it is as simple as an All American menu to a more complex French menu, we have so much fun cooking, baking and setting the scene with friends.

This holiday break has given us the gift of time and it has been the perfect excuse to try some new things.  I made my first French Onion Soup on Christmas, the hubby has been putting his new deep fryer to work on beignets and frites, and I finally attempted risotto, something the hubby has always made incredibly well but I have never attempted.  The hubby also made this Eggs Benedict for the first time and it was a dream come true.



I just finished reading Bread and Wine: A Love Letter to Life around the Table, a book of essays by the author followed by some of her favorite recipes.  Throughout the book she focuses on the importance of gathering around the table with friends and family and the memories that are created.  I just loved the entire book and it has motivated me to take my cooking one step further.

My resolution for 2014 is to create more time to cook for friends and family.  Every year our calendar gets booked with parties, galas, events, meetings, sports and dinners.  What is lacking is the more casual moments; the dinners at our home with the people we adore.  No matter how fun a party or event can be, it does not compare to the intimacy of a group of people around a dining room table, eating and drinking for hours.  So, that is my plan.  A little less over booking, a little more personal entertaining.

And on that note, can you believe this is the last day of 2013?  It really was such an incredible year and I feel so very blessed.  I can only image what amazing things are to come.  This life is pretty incredible isn't it?  Have a wonderful celebration this evening and I look forward to sharing more with you in 2014.


Happy New Year.   


Post a Comment

previous next