Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Oh crap, I AM an Adult!

Yes, I understand that I am 33, a mother and a wife, but I will admit that I have had a hard time accepting that I am truly an adult.  Do you want to know what will force you to accept that you are in fact NOT young anymore?  Visiting your old High School.

This past Monday I spoke at my High School's Career Day.  I did not accept willingly and I still blame my friend for convincing me to do it (that is what you get for carpooling with someone in the Alumni office).  Anyway, I digress.  The first thing that I noticed was that all high school students look about 10 years old.  The next thing I took note of was how SHORT the girl's uniform skirts were.  And when asked what they would like to do when they graduate college, they looked at me as if I had just asked them to solve the financial crisis.  It finally clicked.  These kids were looking at me as an ADULT and I was looking at them as CHILDREN.  That was it.  My age hit me like a truck and I realized that I do not relate to these kids anymore than their parents do.

Dammit, I have grown up.

And all I wanted to yell when pulling out of the parking lot was "SLOW DOWN!"

1 comments

  1. :(


    The little boy across the street from me is the cutest little thing - he's all blonde curls and tanned happiness. He's just sweet and polite - I remember coming home from high school and seeing the stork they put up in their front yard announcing his birth. He's shaping up to be such a nice kid.

    EXCEPT YESTERDAY I WATCHED HIM GET IN HIS PARENT'S CAR AND DRIVE AWAY. What the HECK?!?! I had a brief moment where I thought about calling the police, and then I did the math---crap. The little boy is driving. He's the same age I was when I saw him come home from the hospital.

    Oh well. I'm planning on living to 90, so I'm only a third of the way there. I'm, like, a 3 or 4 year old dog - barely hitting my prime.

    ReplyDelete

previous next