Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Whales and Dolphins

Please note: this is not the boat we went on.  I just LOVE this photo.
Whale Watching.  I cannot even remember the last time I went whale watching.  I think it may have been a field trip in Elementary school.  Who knows how old I was.  Did we even see whales?  I cannot be sure.  Needless to say, it was a LOONG time ago. 

The sad thing is that experiences like these are right in our backyard and we sometimes fail to take advantage of them.  I can blame school, sports and schedules but really, I think sometimes it is just forgetting how awesome Orange County is and how beautiful it is to be out on the ocean.  For this reason, none of the children have been whale watching and it was about time we changed that.

We spent our Saturday afternoon down at Dana Wharf Sport Fishing and Whale Watching for their two-hour whale watching trip.  Because it had been so long, I had no idea what to expect and went into it telling the kids that there was a high probability that we may not see anything.  I was WAY OFF.

Through our 2 hour trip we not only learned a ton (our Captain was awesome) but we also saw three gray whales, sea lions, and the major highlight, HUNDREDS (it felt like THOUSANDS) of dolphins.  It was unreal.  Every where you looked, dolphins were jumping out of the water.  I wish I was faster with the camera but honestly, I forgot about taking pictures as I watched the kids take in everything they were seeing.  It was crazy.


If you have not experienced whale watching at Dana Wharf, it is an absolute MUST on your To Do list.  It is coming to the end of the season so there are only a few more weeks left to take advantage of the gray whales migrating north.  Dana Wharf Sport Fishing and Whale Watching offers a number of tours each day and you can click here to view times and purchase tickets.

* Juggling in Heels did receive complimentary tickets from Dana Wharf Sport Fishing and Whale Watching but the opinions stated are 100% my own.

Post a Comment

previous next