Thursday, January 16, 2014

White Chicken Chili


As we all know, California has decided to do away with winter and enter summer 6 months premature. It has felt incredibly strange pulling out the summer wardrobe these past few days, living in shorts and tanks while the rest of the country is bundled up.  This is what I love about California...but I will be honest, I am missing winter a bit.

For as much as I am a California girl, I do love getting just a few months, okay weeks, of cold weather. I love wearing jackets and sweaters, boots and gloves, and all those winter items that rarely make it out of the closet.  I also love the comfort food of cold weather.  The food that is just too hot to eat during the summer.

Tuesday, I finally had enough and decided winter or no winter, I was going to make chili.  I wanted something cozy and warm regardless of whether I was sweating while I ate it.  I previously mentioned Bread and Wine, a book by Shauna Nieguist and how much I loved it but I do not think I have yet mentioned how fabulous her recipes are.  In the book she has a recipe for White Chicken Chili that I have been wanting to try but the weather was just not permitting.  Tuesday I went for it.

It was the perfect combination; easy + comforting + delicious.  Did I mention it only has 4 ingredients? That is my kind of recipe.  It was exactly what I was looking for and even indulged in my sweats, just to feel like it was winter, if only for a moment.



White Chicken Chili
(serves 6)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1 16-oz container of fresh salsa (from the refrigeration section in your grocery store...not homemade!)
4 cans white beans
4 cups chicken broth

In a dutch oven, cook the chicken over medium heat until it is cooked through.  

Add the salsa, beans (including the bean liquid) and broth.

Bring to a roiling boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally.  Simmer for at least 30 minutes but the longer the better.

As I mentioned before, I truly did love Bread and Wine and if you are looking for a great feel-good book, I highly recommend picking it up.  Also, I have now made 4 of her recipes in the book and they have all been delicious yet incredibly easy to make... perfect for moms.  You can purchase the book here or learn more about Shauna and her other books here.  

* Recipe used from Bread and Wine by Shauna Niequist pg. 110
  

Post a Comment

previous next