Monday, September 12, 2011

A Day of Mixed Emotions

How do you tell your son that he was born on the anniversary of one of the most tragic days in American history?  That is right, on September 11, 2007 at 4:00am, my middle man was born and so began the constant comments of "His birthday is September 11th?  Oh....."  I remember being pregnant and having numerous people tell me, "Just don't go into labor on the 11th"...as if I had a choice.  This brings me to now.  Yesterday, when the entire country was mourning the 10 year anniversary of the attacks, my son was celebrating his 4th birthday.  His birthday will always be marked by incredibly tragedy and it will be hard to explain to him the date that he shares.  Even as the news discussed the upcoming day, he would hear it and immediately say "Mommy!  September 11th!  That is my birthday!"  I will never forget where I was when the towers were struck.  And I will never forget the birth of my baby boy.  I will forever feel the mix of emotions on this day as I celebrate such an incredible little boy and mourn the loss of so many others.

Post a Comment

previous next